Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Quick hits

A couple of quick hits before I sabbaticize for a while...

The troika of Korean restaurants on Midlothian are well worth the long drive out to that side of the city - Young Bin Kwan, Korean Garden and 88 Garden. At this point, I've felt that they are all running virtually together in terms of taste, quality, price, decor and service. Regarding authenticity, no direct comparison, but I think that they're very close to the plentiful "better" options a further drive away (Annandale or Rockville). Tellingly for me, I had to say that I liked the dolsot at any (or all) better than one I had at a Korean place in the far east (not Korea). So, I guess one could pick any one of them with a somewhat equal probability of having a good dinner. The menus at all are quite a handful and it is a bit difficult to choose if you arent sure (at all places, the staff have helped out, somewhat). The Korean bbq is a good place to start (better if you have more than 2 people), but if not quite that adventurous you cant go wrong with the smaller casseroles or "famous" dishes - bulgogi, bibimbap, jap chae (noodles), jigae (stew) etc. Again, they all have sushi which I havent tried. At last visit, I thought that the banchan (those savory little kimchi dishes) at YB had a slight edge to those at the others.

6135 (88G), 6827 (KG), 7437 (YB) on Midlothian Turnpike...almost tempted but no number games here today; they're roughly equidistant from the central one.

The wine bar race in Carytown is heating up. Secco and Amour are the two latest additions to the area and while they seem to feature entirely different vibes (one being decidedly more casual in appearance and manner), this will be fun to follow. Amour, the owner informed us, has a rather interesting monthly French region concept. This month its the Alsace and the next month its the Rhone. Makes for some terrific wines at least.

On sabbaticals, ending with a non-food related musing. My Wednesday readings will be far diminished now that Olivia Judson, evolutionary biologist, writer extraordinaire (and, incidentally a lovely person to talk to) sadly announced a so, long and thanks (for all the fish?) for year. I'll have to get my fix for great (science) writing elsewhere....
I guess writing about Ms.Judson is not completely food unrelated. Her upcoming book "Dinosaur Eggs for Breakfast" would make for a nice breakfast indeed - OJ & eggs !!

2 comments:

Not Likely said...

Olivia was amongst my favorite columnists for NYT. Her inquisitive mind made thoughtful solutions clear through her delightful well researched writing. Like the third blush of my vegetable garden next year, I await the return of each. Thank you for mentioning Olivia and thank you for your blog.

griddlebone said...

I agree. She has the gift of being able to convey her wonderful ideas with such lucidity. Makes me pause and reconsider nature each time.
And thanks for reading and sharing.
Cheerio !