Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Korean food

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the Midlothian arm of the city lies a small unregarded Korean restaurant that I had the pleasure of visiting at the recent recommendation of a Korean student.
Young bin Kwan - hidden in a strip mall out in parts of the city I rarely visit, is an excellent alternative to driving all the way out to the Annandale area in NoVa. It had been sometime since I had my fix of dolsot (stone pot) bibimbap... and this one did not disappoint.
The service was very friendly and they took time to explain the dishes and the different banchan. I think that is one of my favorite aspects of Korean (and Japanese) food. They are such visual treats. I loved the kimchi and the other banchan.
Korean food does tend to be quite spicy and the taste is that of the "raw" chili peppers, unfettered by other spices (as in Indian food for instance). My companion, who was entirely new to Korean food had the bean curd stew and couldnt finish it because it was too hot. We ended up feeling a bit bad after because they were so apologetic about it. But them being so nice added to our overall pleasant experience. It is probably a better idea to get it mild and add the chili paste to taste. Our dinner for two (perfect for the snowy and miserable day) came to less than $30 (w/ t&t).

While not adventurous enough to try the table-top barbecueing, next up is the Yook gae Jong....

Young Bin Restaurant - map

No comments: