Tuesday, October 9, 2007

sensi

My first dining experience in Richmond when I visited is now my latest! And I was impressed by this place back then and on my second visit, I still continue to think that it is a very good dining experience.
A very burgundy (from the chairs to the table to the carpet), dimly lit interior greets you as you enter the dining area passing an oddly solitary statue with raised arms. Perhaps this is to remind you that you are about to enter "italia". A metallic bronze link curtain separates the bar from the main dining area. Under the glare of the spot lit tables, the restaurant didnt look quite so dim anymore. I was left wondering what the strange mural on the back wall was all about!
To start out, we had the caprese with mozarella and tomato with grana padano and balsamic vinegar. This classic caprese did disappoint slightly because of the blandness of the tomato and what we felt was a little undersalting of the dish.
A nice touch to the menu is the "half" portions of the pastas. We still ended up getting two different pastas for the main course, but if one is interested in a lighter meal, a half portion is more than enough. I wasnt too taken in by the gnocchi although my dining companion disagreed with me. Again a trifle undersalted, this was quickly rectified.
I had the rack of lamb encrusted with mustard seeds and served with napa grapes. The sauce and the grapes, tiny and perfectly sour/sweet went perfectly with the meat. I did wish that there were some vegetables or some member of the carbohydrate-family to complement the meat and the grapes. That not withstanding, this was a very well prepared entree and the portion that accompanied me home for dinner the next day entertained my palate equally well.

I will probably devote another posting on this apparent ubiquity of large portion sizes in and around Richmond.

We did save some room for dessert and amidst a bevy of rather pedestrian sounding options recited to us by our server, a delicious bodino with strawberry compote stood out. This turned out to be an absolutely delightful capping of a good meal. Creamy and delicious with strawberries and raspberries, it disappeared quickly. Our check came to around $120 (incl. tax+tip) with a drink each, shared appetizer, an entree each and a shared dessert.
Service: Our waiter was very good. Not only did he have an excellent grasp of the menu, but was also prompt in service and generally very engaging. While I dont recall the service on my last visit, I'm pretty sure it was very good then as well.
Bottomline: This place was definitely an excellent, if expensive dinner. B

Sensi: 2222 E Cary St, Richmond, VA 23223. Maps

No comments: