Thursday, October 4, 2007

Nara Sushi

Cheap dining (or accurately eating) options, quite naturally, seem to abound around VCU. While I havent yet gotten to explore much of this, I shall be posting every now and then of my lunch adventures, sans the mentions of the chains of course !
The first stop I mention is a place I've been to a few times now. Nara is a little sushi place that has provided quite a few satisfactory lunches so far. I've experimented with the sushi/rolls, the chirashi, noodles and I must say, what is probably one of the best lunch-deals around - an extremely filling lunch box for $6.50. And to very satisfactory result in most cases !
The menu is very simplistic (ie what have become "sushi" staples across the country -tuna, salmon etc) with a few other ubiquitous options thrown in. Prices are very cheap. I had a throw back to Kotobuki in DC on seeing the prices (no where near in taste of course!). The seafood appeared and tasted fresh. I must mention that the sushi while not great is very satisfactory nonetheless and tad better than standard grocery store fare. One might argue that simple california rolls and their ilk isnt much to write home about but at least they do the basics right. The tempuras were ok, I wasnt too taken in by the taste of a shrimp tempura I had there. I also didnt like the noodles very much. They were devoid of any substantial accoutrements and rather bland. Also one other -ve that comes to mind is the wasabi. While I wasnt expecting authentic wasabi, Nara has some version that just doesnt kick any thing let alone a tastebud.

The decor is one of those faux japan types with an inflatable sumo wrestler, kimono-ed dolls, a few mandatory bamboo umbrellas and some pictures of Mt. Fuji (I guess). Clean and spartan if a little worn down. Service is pretty decent and every time I've been there, the food arrived in a timely manner and they certainly took care to see that I never ran short on a water supply ! The check with tax and tip average between $8-$15 pp.

Bottomline: You will not find an omakase meal here, superior sashimi or any complex and innovative melanges of ingredients by the chef but for a cheap and simple lunch, this place is extremely satisfactory.C. Now dinner there might be a different ballgame.......

No comments: