Sunday, March 1, 2009

Random musings

I was thinking about Pita chips in general after my last post and Stacy's Pita chips in particular. The name Stacy didnt exactly conjure up a vision of pita...like say... Kontos ! And yet, these chips are quite good and generally found in places like Whole Foods (which if nothing, does convey the "healthy/natural image"). I havent found them the ideal addition to fattoush but more of a general dip and eat type product. And the bagel chips were like the TJ's Melba rounds, rather good as hors d'oeuvres, with toppings.
So after checking out their website, I did find the answer to the most vexing question - Yes, there is indeed a Stacy and she's based in Massachusetts. Back to the food....

A few weeks ago, I came across the wonderful story of 12 year old David Fishman the food critic (secretly wishing I had a similarly start and/or the ability). Now, in the latest issue of GQ, there is a full length article about the young man, who has apparently become a sensation with media appearances and such. Food writer Alan Richman felt like "Jennifer Aniston the first time she saw Angelina Jolie" (whatever that means...I just felt the need to throw in a belated gratuitous nod to the celebrities in the wake of the oscars)... While there is a certain novelty in the fact that he's so young, I liked Fishman's simple style. Importantly he wasnt making trivial observations (which in and of itself is a non-trivial task !). It will be interesting to follow his future trajectory.

While on the article, I came across mention of a restaurant concept that I had always joked about where the chef would choose your meals "according to what he thinks you'll like". It exists !!
While avoiding the practicality/implementation of this concept, I just find it rather intriguing. I am sure that such establishments exist in many places...but a chef who actually (as opposed to merely giving lip service to this idea) melds culinary skills with a "personality reading" of sorts in a serious manner would be something to behold. My ignorance was clearly a reflection of how much of the culinary world I have yet to explore ! One might argue there is a 'chef' like this in every home aka mom !

No comments: