Wednesday, February 4, 2009

recession dining

The Times today had an interesting article about formerly snooty places finally shedding some of that attitude in these tough times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/dining/04note.html

I doubt that the diners at Masa or Per Se are making the shift the local diner anytime soon though.

I wonder what the situation is like in Richmond in general. Having a rather small sample size of the 'upper crust' of rva restaurants recently, I dont feel equipped to offer an informed opinion (I venture to say warily - the couple of such places I've been to in the last month have been a mixed bag - one good, one not so good !!). For one, I guess that while purchasing power has dropped, either in real terms or due to discretion, food prices dont seem to have followed suit (which in itself makes for an interesting multivariate economics problem).

Addendum: I found it rather amusing/ironic that on the day I mused about recession dining, I see my first Lamborghini in Richmond parked outside one of the 'fine dining' places in my neighborhood.

No comments: