Thursday, January 24, 2008

ginger thai

I've decided, for the sake of overcoming my inertia to at least get one item off my backlog plate (all bad puns intended) by wrapping up my Ginger Thai review quickly. Twas a dark and stormy night, when I felt that Tom Kha Gai soup would be the ideal antidote and we stepped into Ginger Thai....
I have a (somewhat weak) theory that many (especially Asian) restaurants can be gauged by the quality of their soup. This has stood me in good stead in testing many a Chinese restaurant by the quality of their hot and sour soup and Thai places by their Tom Kha or Tom Yum.
The Tom Kha Gai @ Ginger: The coconut milk was completely missing in action, a weak lime taste, stringy chicken and...... disappointing ! This did not bode well for the rest of the meal.

Spring rolls: decent but completely bland. The entrees (a green curry and garlic chicken): terrible because well....they tasted like Chinese food. Thai cooking is not supposed to taste like Chinese cooking (not that there is anything wrong with Chinese food). There were no hints of basil, lemongrass or anything remotely Thai.
I think I've reached my wordlimit on what I wanted to say about this place.

Bottomline: F. Avoid.

No comments: